5 Ways to Chill Out this Summer
1. Keep the Heat Out
- Improve insulation between your attic and roof.
- If you are upgrading your windows, consider ENERGY STAR certified windows.
- Use your window coverings, add new ones, or adjust blinds to keep the sun out.
- The right roof can do a lot to keep the heat out. Consider ENERGY STAR certified roof products.
2. Keep the Cool In
- Seal and insulate the cooling system ducts in your attic.
- Find air leaks around your house and seal them with spray foam, caulk, and weather-stripping. Sealing and insulating your home can save you up to $200 in annual utility bills.
3. Maintain Your Cooling System
- Schedule a summer cooling system tune up.
- Change your air filter every three months.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Set it seven degrees higher when you’re away and four degrees higher when you’re asleep and save about $180.
4. Be a Fan of Fans
- Use an ENERGY STAR certified ceiling fan and raise your thermostat two degrees. It’ll lower cooling costs by 14%.
- Use an ENERGY STAR certified vent fan after a shower to reduce humidity.
5. Look for the ENERGY STAR
- If your central air conditioning unit is more than 12 years old, replacing it with a model that has earned the ENERGY STAR could cut your cooling costs by 30%.
- Replace those old, hot incandescent light bulbs with much cooler ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs.
Excerpted from EnergyStar.gov.
Learn more at www.energystar.gov/cooling.
Schedule your annual safety check & tune-up or request repair service online.
We sell and service all makes and models of propane, oil, or natural gas systems.